Although the Ohio River Valley weather hasn’t received the memo yet, it’s officially Autumn! If you make your way to one of Louisville’s many beautiful parks you might not see that much change in the tree canopy, but you might get hit in the head by an acorn or a pine cone. Call me crazy, but I think that’s infinitely better than getting smacked in the face with humidity first thing in the morning. The days are shorter and Pumpkin Spice is in the air. It is officially, very nearly, sweater weather!
This is the time of year when I feel the urge to begin planning for all the upcoming excuses for me to show my love through hearty meals with friends and family (pretending I care about sports, being thankful, and whatnot). I’ve got to start putting in the time for research now because I am a lactose intolerant vegetarian (otherwise known as sort of a vegan). Veganism is the easiest dietary option for me, but if I’m going to warm the hearts and tummies of those around me with delicious comfort food it’s best if they can’t tell what they’re eating is vegan.
Ever since Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero’s Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes That Rule came into my life in 2006 I’ve been secretly feeding my loved ones tofu and they’ve loved it. If you’re trying to be sneaky or ease people into vegan food all of their dessert books are a fantastic option and a great way to learn about vegan baking. If I’m getting fancy for a potluck or a dinner party I’m sure to find something in their massive tome Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook.
However, my favorite cookbook of all time is definitely Isa Chandra Moskowitz’ most recent solo book, Isa Does it: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week. It’s chock-full of simple, well-explained, delicious recipes organized into sections such as: Handheld, Bowls (& a few plates), and Sunday Suppers. The Dilly Stew, Curried Peanut Sauce Bowl, and Tofu Mushroom Stroganoff are in heavy rotation at my house, but anything in this book is sure to satisfy.
- Vegan with a Vengeance: Over 150 Delicious, Cheap, Animal-Free Recipes That Rock
- Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World: 75 Dairy-Free Recipes for Cupcakes That Rule
- Veganomicon: The Ultimate Vegan Cookbook
- Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar: 100 Dairy-Free Recipes for Everyone’s Favorite Treats
- Vegan Pie in the Sky: 75 Out-of-this World Recipes for Pies, Tarts, Cobblers, and More
Cookbooks by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
- Vegan Brunch: Homestyle Recipes Worth Waking up for — From Asparagus Omlets to Pumpkin Pancakes
- Appetite for Reduction: 125 Fast & Filling Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
- Isa Does It: Amazingly Easy, Wildly Delicious Vegan Recipes for Every Day of the Week
- The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion – release date November 15, 2016
Cookbooks by Terry Hope Romero
- Viva Vegan!: 200 Authentic and Fabulous Recipes for Latin Food Lovers
- Vegan Eats World: 250 International Recipes for Savoring the Planet
- Salad Samurai: 100 Cutting-Edge, Ultra-Hearty, Easy-to-Make Salads you Don’t Have to be Vegan to Love
- Protein Ninja: Power Through Your day With 100 Hearty Plant-Based Recipes That Will Pack a Protein Punch
Reviewed by Magen, Highlands-Shelby Park Branch