LFPL no longer charges fines for overdue items. With this change, LFPL officially joins library systems across the country who recognize that fines statistically do not ensure the return of borrowed materials. They merely create a barrier to library services that disproportionately affects the people who need access the most.
While this proposal eliminates overdue fines, library items not returned will still result in a patron being billed for the replacement cost and blocked from additional checkouts until the items are returned or paid for.
Why is LFPL going fine free?
- To provide more equitable access to the library’s materials and resources.
- To encourage previous patrons to come back to the library and attract new users.
- To improve customer service and the patron’s overall library experience.
What this means for you:
- You will no longer accrue a daily late fee on overdue materials.
- If you have overdue fines (not replacement costs) accrued before we were fine free, you are no longer required to pay those fines.
- You are still responsible for your items. We encourage you to return all items in a timely manner.
- The library will continue to send you courtesy reminders to return your items.
- Past replacement fees for lost or damaged items still apply.